Friday, November 5, 2010

Countdown to tethered cord release surgery begins!


8 days until we fly out, then one day of rest, another day for pre-op evaul, then tethered cord release surgery!

I have a roller coaster of emotions. I am excited but scared at the same time. The excitement is for the hope of waking up from surgery with relief from a life of constant headaches, low back pain, nausea, dizziness, neck pain, etc. My sister, that had the same surgery, just two years ago, said that she felt so good when she woke up. She said that she had the pain from the surgery but the relief from the headache and other pain was so substantial that it was unbelievable. We have had pain all of our lives that we are somewhat used to it.

The tethered cord release surgery involves going into my lover back, entering the dura mater (the thick covering of the spinal cord), testing the actual neural tissue to make sure that they do not cut that, and clipping the connective tissue. That is right, they will be severing the connective tissue that connects the base of the spinal cord to the bottom of the spine. There is no need for it to be connect in adulthood. This is being cut in hopes that my brain will float up and will no longer be pulled down into my spinal column. Then the cerebral spinal fluid will be able to flow more normal. After the surgery, I will be in a medically induced coma for 24 hours, be in the ICU for 3 full days and on the medical ward for 2-3 days. My sister, brother, and Justin will all be in New York with me. Then Justin and I will stay a few more days to make sure there are no further complications and fly back on Thanksgiving day. In the future, I will be closely monitored to see if my brain settles back down. If so, the brain surgery will be needed. Most Chiarians with tethered cord have to have both the tethered cord release and the brain surgery. Justin and I will be going for follow up once a year for the rest of my life or until they have an office out west. So, hopefully we will get to see the Statue of Liberty on one of those trips.

The surgery is just a symptom control. At this time, there is no cure for Chiari.

3 comments:

  1. Wow. I am praying, praying, praying that this all goes well for you. And if it turns out to be a Bud light at the end of the tunnel, then I'll sit and drink it with you. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited for you to have some relief.I love you and know God will keep you in the palm of his hand and you will come home a much better woman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kelli, I am a friend of your Mom's and I just want you to know that I am praying for your successful surgery and recovery. God is good!

    Jacque

    ReplyDelete