Thursday, December 2, 2010

Gaining ground

This is a view of a tethered cord (The connective tissue at the base of the spine attaches too tight before you are born. It is closely related to spinal bifida.)


I am feeling better and stronger day by day.

Yesterday was the first post-op appointment with my PCP. First off, the girls at the front desk had shock on their faces when I walked in, unassisted! "You look great. That is really amazing!" Then I asked the medical assistant to measure my height. I have gained 1.5 inches back in height. I have gained just over 2 lbs. Which is pretty amazing since almost everything taste better since surgery and I did eat an entire pecan pie, that my mom made, and Thanksgiving was last week. My speach is pretty clear now and my neck has full range of motion. Overall, she was pretty happy with my healing, so far. My next appointment is in two weeks and she said that I may be able to drive then!!!!!!! I don't even know if I remember how. It has been 7 months! I am so excited. Freedom, sweet freedom!

I do still have daily pressure headaches and am still in bed most of the day. I am still taking the medicine for altitude sickness. Hopefully that will continue to work. The fatigue I have is from the surgery and the Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. So, that will not be fading completely. I am slowing trying to build up my core muscles by sitting to the side of the bed and sitting up on the couch. Slow but steady. I will start my physical therapy on Tuesday. I am excited to get some endurance back and see what kind of excercise I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment