Thursday, January 20, 2011

Chiari Poem/ relapse



A friend of a friend wrote this poem below and posted it on her Facebook. I just loved it. What it does not mention is the years and countless trips to doctors where they have no idea what is wrong with you. Thank goodness we have a diagnosis now! I am going to my primary care provider today. I have had a little relapse from Christmas. I was having migraines daily, tremors, difficulty walking, talking and fatigue. It seems to be subsiding. I started cognitive therapy last week. It is focusing on getting my life on a schedule and keeping a daily planners so that I do not forget important things. You know, like picking Weston up from school or doctors appointments. hee hee. So my schedule has been very busy. It consists of doing physical therapy three times a week and cognitive therapy two times a week. Luckily the cognitive therapist is also a trained speech therapist and helps me with that. Apparently it is the same area in the brain that is affected, the cerebellum. I hope everyone is recuperating from the Holidays. Sometimes it can be a little bit of a letdown after the build up to them. I have resigned from my position at the VA. That was VERY difficult for me. I am sure that contributed to my relapse. I had finally gotten into the position that I had wanted but my body just can not work right now. Hopefully after all of the rehabilitation, I will be able to work as an RN again. But for now, I just need to focus on getting better. It has been just over two months since my tethered cord release. I am still very tender. It has been nice to have my necks full range of motion and to be able to walk without a walker, and finally....being able to drive is FREEDOM! About a week ago I went to the grocery store, shopped, loaded the groceries, and then sat in my car exhausted. When I was sitting there, I realized that was the first time that I had gone to the grocery store all by myself in over 8 months. I was so exhausted that I was not sure that I could unload the groceries. Luckily, when I called Justin (my hubby), he was coming home to eat lunch and was able to unload the groceries. The cognitive therapist is helping me realize that I have to schedule in "rest periods" so that I do not run myself down and keep having relapses. In all, things seem to be improving and I love physical therapy. I hope all of you are doing wonderfully! Thanks for all of your continued support!


Chiari Poem
(to the tune of the 12 Days of Christmas...)

On the first trip to the neurosurgeon my doctor gave to me the diagnosis of Chiari.

On the second trip to the neurosurgeon my doctor gave to me two cognitive tests, and the diagnosis of Chiari.

On the third trip to the neurosurgeon my doctor gave to me three MRIs, two cognitive tests and the diagnosis of Chiari.

On the fourth trip to the neurosurgeon my doctor gave to me four iv needles, three MRIs, two cognitive tests and the diagnosis of Chiari.

On the fifth trip to the neurosurgeon my doctor gave to me five days of hospital food, four iv needles, three MRIs, two cognitive tests and the diagnosis of Chiari.

On the sixth trip to the neurosurgeon my doctor gave to me six new symptoms, five days of hospital food, four iv needles, three MRIs, two cognitive tests and the diagnosis of Chiari.

On the seventh trip to the neurosurgeon my doctor gave to me seven times four surgical staples, six new symptoms, five days of hospital food, four iv needles, three MRIs, two cognitive tests and the diagnosis of Chiari.

On the eighth trip to the neurosurgeon my doctor gave to me pictures of my eight millimeter herniation, seven times four surgical staples, six new symptoms, five days of hospital food, four iv needles, three MRIs, two cognitive tests and the diagnosis of Chiari.

On my ninth trip to the neurosurgeon my doctor gave to me nine new prescriptions, pictures of my eight millimeter herniation, seven times four surgical staples, six new symptoms, five days of hospital food, four iv needles, three MRIs, two cognitive tests and the diagnosis of Chiari.

On my tenth trip to the neurosurgeon my doctor gave to me ten numb digits, nine

new prescriptions, pictures of my eight millimeter herniation, seven times four surgical staples, six new symptoms, five days of hospital food, four iv needles, three MRIs, two cognitive tests and the diagnosis of Chiari.

On the eleventh trip to my neurosurgeon my doctor gave to me eleven centimeter incision, ten numb digits, nine new prescriptions, pictures of my eight millimeter herniation, seven times four surgical staples, six new symptoms, five days of hospital food, four iv needles, three MRIs, two cognitive tests and the diagnosis of Chiari.

On the twelfth trip to my neurosurgeon my doctor gave to me twelve weeks on sick leave, eleven centimeter incision, ten numb digits, nine new prescriptions, pictures of my eight millimeter herniation, seven times four surgical staples, six new symptoms, five days of hospital food, four iv needles, three MRIs, two cognitive tests and the diagnosis of Chiari.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there! I, too, an a Chiari malformation 1 patient. The poem is awesome! Would you mind if I shared it with some of my Chiari friends?

    Olive

    ReplyDelete