Thursday, October 21, 2010

Rhino, not hippo!


So the neuropsychologist said he would put me on the top of the cancellation list for the full cognitive function testing and he did. I saw him the day before yesterday and yesterday I got a call that there was a cancellation for this morning at 0800. Wow---that is fast! I would have otherwise had to wait until January. So, this morning my mom and I woke up at 0500 and headed down to Sun City for an 0800 appointment. The testing was so intense and brutal! It was nearly four hours of testing. I was so exhausted when we left that I slept all the way home. It was interesting. They did a lot of different things but one funny question that I remembered was "What do a fly and a tree have in common?" I still do not know the answer. Then at the end, she would give me three letters to remember. IE: A,X,O then give me a random number like 93 and have me count backwards by 3's for a set period of time. That was hard. I had a really bad migraine when I was finished. These are just two examples that I can remember. One major problem I continue to have is that I say something out loud like "hippo" when I know it is a "rhino" or "harmonica" when it is an "accordion". I know what the item is but the wrong word comes out. The tech was able to direct me when I was wrong but this is a major issue if I am working as a nurse and teaching someone about new medications. Patients would not know when I make those mistakes. This could cause major issues.

Needless to say, this is going to be an early evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment