Friday, October 8, 2010

Why New York?


It is really this simple, they are the best neurosurgeons in the world! If you are going to have someone cut the connective tissue at the base of your spinal cord, do you want someone that is just OK or do you want the best? Well, I want the best. The Chiari Institute has done over 3000 surgeries! They also do research on what causes Chiari, what is related to Chiari, genetic links, etc. I also do not have the "normal" Chiari where the brain is too large for the skull. My Chiari is aquired. No other place in the world recognizes that. What that means is that my Chiari was caused by something else. In my case, tethered cord. My spinal cord is attached too tight. As I grew, the cord pulling down pulled my brain down into my spinal column.

My problem at the base of the spinal cord needs to be fixed first. Then eventually, I may need brain surgery. If I were to be treated at Barrows, they would only want to do the brain surgery. If they did that first, without fixing the cause of the problem, I would get worse.

My family and I have chosen to go with the best for a surgery that is so serious. I hope this answers the many questions I get on this. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment