Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Tap tomorrow...Little scary :(



Lumbar puncture, spinal tap, whatever you call it....yucky! Tomorrow is the day of torture. Justin has to take the day off of work. My appointment is at 11:00 am but we have to be at the hospital by 10:00 am. Which means we have to leave Prescott by 8:00am to be in Sun City on time. Then after the tap, I have to lay flat for two hours and then the drive home will put us back in Prescott at approximately 3:00pm. A full day to say the least. I am nauseous just thinking about it! The testing for aspergillosis will take about 3 weeks. Hopefully it and the other CSF test will be clear and then I will be able to schedule neurosurgery. The surgery is actually called "Section of the Filum Terminale". In English, they are cutting the connective tissue that tethers the bottom of the spinal cord to the base of the spine. The use a tool to test the tissue to be sure that they are not actually cutting the spinal cord. As you could imagine, it looks very similar and they do not want to accidentally cut the actual spinal cord. That would be very bad.

When we were in to see the surgeon in NY, he told us this funny story about a husband and a wife. The husband was a rather large man and was a Navy Seal. Dr B told us that the husband sent him an email the night before his wife's surgery simply saying, Dear Dr B, You do Neurosurgery and I break kneecaps.... It was so funny. I wish I was thinking clearly but I was tired at the time. My hubby is in construction and is a cattle rancher. So afterward we were thinking and came up with this, My husband is going to send him a message the night before my surgery saying a little something like this, Dr Dr B, Remember the story you told us about the husband that was a Navy seal? Well, you do neurosurgery and I dig big holes and cut off nards.....

Have a wonderful hump day everyone. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment