Friday, June 25, 2010

The circle of giving goes on and on

I went to breakfast with some coworkers yesterday. That was nice to get out. And, once again, I am blown away by everyone's kindness. Another 96 hours of annual leave has been donated to our family from VA employees. That means that nearly 300 hours of precious paid leave has been voluntarily given to us! What have we done to deserve this? I do believe in the circle of giving. So as I get better, the circle will continue. I GUARANTEE THAT!

This blog was started on June 12th. In the first week I had 100 hits. Then on the 8th day alone, I had 50 hits in one day! You are all so inspiring. Thanks for letting me tell my story. It really makes me feel better. It is keeping me from going insane!

I have a story I want to tell. A couple weeks ago I got a message on Facebook for a mom, a total stranger. She stated that her three year old had just been diagnosed with Chiari Malformation type 1. She asked if I had any information that I could share with her. It was desperation. The kind of desperation I have been feeling. However, I have had the leadership and hope of the three other people, in my life, that have the disease and know about it. I also have the background of being a nurse and the medical lingo to understand what is going on (most of the time). My immediate response to her is, "How did you find me?" Here I go on the religion thing. Not too religious but I would say, she was directed to me.......I had been doing endless amounts of research. I had websites for her. She had simply typed in Chiari on Facebook and found me? Out of all the people in the whole world, and she found me? Her daughter is three and has to have surgery in the next few weeks. She had no idea even how to explain what was going on to her daughter. I explained that in nursing school, they taught us to teach kids on stuffed animals what they were going to have done. To speak to them honestly and at their level. That way you do not lose their respect. I advised her to get some bandages and let her put them on the stuffed animal. We have gone back and forth several times. To tell you the truth, it makes me feel good too! Today I am going to Wal-Mart to get her some coloring books and crayons. I also just thought of a perfect gift for her, I am going to get her a little stethoscope kit. Doesn't that sound PERFECT? She can practice on her favorite toys and wont be as scared when she has to go into the hospital! Yeah, I help her and she helps me..... The circle goes on and on......

3 comments:

  1. You are amazing and I know you will help that little girl handle this beter so she might understand more. I imagin the mom is scared also. Maybe the info will help her understand and be more ready for what is to come. You are amazing

    ReplyDelete
  2. so glad you facebooked me and I found your blog...now I get to hear straight from you!!! YAY! You are one smart cookie...I am very proud of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, morgan6ranch is me...Tracy Morgan :0) I'm kinda new to all this blogging/commenting stuff...

    ReplyDelete