Monday, June 21, 2010

MRI report/ No news is good news

My brothers and sisters, Tim,Scott, Dondi, Kristi, Me, Traci. And, yes, we all have the same mom and dad!

Being the nosey person that I am, I wanted to pick up a copy of my 3T MRI of my brain prior to my next torture appointment, I mean neurologist appointment. So, on Friday, we picked up a copy. What do you know, it stated "normal for patients age". It made me even more nervous to go to the neurologist. One of my "lower quality" MRI of the cervical area, showed "low-lying cerebellar tonsils". However, what the neurologist put down as indicators for the MRI were: headaches, speech impairments, and viral meningitis. Props to him, they are all proper things to list but it is as though he is trying to prove me wrong. Why not rule out chiari? Or, why not cerebellar ataxia (uncontrolled muscle movements), he did watch me walk. That would have tipped off the radiologist to look more closely at the cerebellum. Instead, they quicly looked at my MRI and thought it was normal for someone my age. After talking to several friends and family members, I got some balls (sorry if that offends anyone) and call called the outpatient imagining clinic that did the MRI @ 0700, when they opened this morning. Luckily, the lady that answered the phone was nice (can you believe it? someone was nice to me?). I told her the issue and asked that she have the manager of the facility call me when available. I let her know that I would be pleasant and not take much of his time. Wow, he actually called me back and was nice too. His name is Mike Miller and he works for Simon Med in Peoria. I don't mind saying his name because he was amazing. I told him the situation, told him that I had a cervical MRI a few weeks ago, read the results "low-lying cerebellar" tonsils on a poorer imagine machine and that I doubted that would have changed in a short period of time. Let him know that that the way the doctor ordered it, did not make the radiologist look twice at that area. I asked that he please pull my records and imaging file and have a radiologist look at it again due to the fact that as little as one millimeter (a little more than the width of a finger nail can make a difference). I told him that I was a nurse, how quickly my condition has declined, and that I did not want to go to the neurologist and endure him telling me once again that nothing was wrong. I also let him know that I did not want to go through the ordeal of driving to Phoenix, getting nauseous, blah, blah, blah....pay for another MRI, you get the idea. He totally got it. He looked everything up, called me several times this morning and let me know that he had all of the records from YRMC but the cervical MRI that I discussed with him. He requested the copy himself and will personally be following up with me in a week or so. Again, people amaze me!!!!!!! I happily called my neurologists office and moved my appointment. Unfortunately he will be on vacation the whole month of July so I will not see him again until August 3rd.




When I had one of my fun conversations with my sister Dondi this morning, I told her, It is 11:30 in NY and I have not heard from them. She said that she had forgot to tell me that they arrange everything such as testing, imaging, the many drs appts, etc before they even call me back so it may be next week before I hear from them. That is a little relief. Now it is 11:00 am her and I am still in bed. It is going to be one of those days again. The kids are all here but Wessy. They will have to fend for themselves today but for some reason, I think they will be okay.




If I have not told you lately, I appreciate you, every one of you!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment