Friday, August 6, 2010

Another angel in my life

Karra, Kyler, Lexi, Jake, Weston in April 2010

I usually have Justin, my mom, or one of my sisters around to help me. Thank goodness. The first time I realized how much help I needed help was when I got a form from Social Security. I attempted to read it. Normally, it would be no problem. I would whip through it, sign it, and send it back in the mail. Heck, I sign hundreds of legal and medical documents, a week, at work. However, about a month ago, I got the form from social security and tried to read it. I got about a third of the way through it and realized that the words were not making sense. I could read the words but when they got into my brain, I had not idea what they meant. So my sister Kristi read it for me explained it to me. I signed it and sent it back.


Today, my friend Elizabeth took me to Costco but first she took me to the doctor's office to pick up some paperwork. This was the second time that I realized my reading comprehension difficulty. The lady behind the desk asked me to fill out the medical release form. I filled out the top. That was simple----name, address, phone, etc. Then she said "You need to fill out the whole thing." I immediately felt my heart start to pound and my eyes start to tear. I looked down and tried to read the paper. I tried three times quickly before I asked Elizabeth to help. She had no problem helping but it is my pride. I am young and intelligent but this illness has robbed me of simple tasks such as reading simple medical forms. She quickly hopped up and helped just as one of my family members would have without missing a beat. Thank goodness I am surrounded by good people!


Then we did the big-time shopping at Costco. By the time we left, Elizabeth could hardly see over the cart. We are loaded up on lunch meat, toilet paper, and cheese. My caring coworkers had been feeding us for months so I had not had to stock up for a while.


Elizabeth and I had such a good time. She is lovely and heaven sent! Next time maybe we can fit a lunch in?

1 comment:

  1. I am anxious to meet Elizabeth. She sounds like an angel on earth. I love her already.
    Thanks Elizabeth for taking care of my "little girl" when I couldn't be there.

    ReplyDelete