Thursday, August 19, 2010

God is building my character

Bonnie Hunt is a morning talk show that is quickly becoming one of my favorite daytime talk shows. She was an oncology nurse before becoming an actress and now a talk show host. Her humor, I just get it! She told a few stories today. One really felt like she was talking directly to me. I am sure she was ;). She told the story about when she got accepting into nursing school. Her dad was so excited and proud. He would make her put her nursing cap on and show his friends. She said that she wanted to be a theater story teller and not a nurse. (My parents are very proud too)During nursing school, her father passed suddenly. She did not want to go back. She said that her mother asked her to go to school for one week in honor of her father. Then if she did not want to continue, she could drop out. So Bonnie went to school and was assigned a man that had cancer all through his body, including his eyes. Bonnie's teacher pulled her to the side and said "I know that your dad just died but you are a professional so you need to leave that at the door and be professional." So Bonnie went in to talk to her patient she was assigned. He was in a good mood and was talking about his "bride" coming to visit. He and his wife had been married for over 40 years and he still called her his "bride". Then he said that he was glad he had cancer. He said that he was given a chance to tell all his loved ones everything he ever wanted to tell them. He had time to make sure everything was in order. He then went on to talk about a friend that had passed suddenly that was so proud of his kid. That friend did not have a chance to tell his loved ones that he loved them. Bonnie had this patient every day that week. On the third day, she looked at the back of the chart and saw where the patient worked. She went in and said, "I am not supposed to do this, but I think you may know my dad." He then said, "Yes, that is who I have been talking about all week. He was so proud of you." She said that they had a good cry together. She finished taking care of him the rest of the week. Needless to say, she finished nursing school. She then went on to say that she thought her dad had gone straight to heaven and then straight up to God and said, "We got to get her through ursing school. She is much too fragile to make it in Hollywood right now." She also went on about how oncology nursing has built into her as a person. She also told another quick story about when she was a teenager and was having a rough time and asked her dad "why me". He told her "He only gives those tests to those characters that he considers the strongest, consider it a compliment."
Thanks god.....I take it as a compliment! You must think I have CHARACTER.


One of Bonnie's guest today was Dr Wayne Dyer. His dad left him as an infant. His mother was not able to take care of her children. She was forced to give them up. He had to be raised in orphanages and foster care. He grew into a fantasically inspiring human being. Now, he has written several inspirational books. He made one statement that I really liked. He said, "We don't attract what we want, we attract what we are".
I will leave you with that! Those are some great things to think about......


2 comments:

  1. The last quote is a great compliment as well. I find myself surrounded by fantastic human beings. That must mean I am pretty fantastic myself! "We don't attract what we want, we attract what we are." ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful bit of encouragement. I love when things come along like that.

    ReplyDelete