Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Long day in the Valley

<---(Kyler and I at the dunes 2-2010. We look so much alike.)
Yesterday started Kyler, Justin, and I started our day at 0430. We were off...The day started with an appointment for an EEG. It checks for seizure activity. We don't know the results yet. Next Justin and I went in to see the neurologist. (Kyler was sleeping in the car--it was not hot in Phoenix yet. And yes, we rolled down the windows people. He did not die. It was his choice to stay in the car. I did not forget him in there. Hee hee) What a turn around! Well first off, let me tell you. I put, what I thought was most important, on the top of my chart. I had the medical assistant copy the MRI showing "low-lying" tonsils, the speech therapist report showing that my speech problem is of a "cerebellar origin", and my emails showing I have the preop evaluation appointment with The Chiari Institute in New York. So, again, that was all up front and center for the doctor. When he walked in, he could see the walker. He could see me moving A.K.A cerebellar ataxia. And, he could here my speech problems. Mind you, this is all the symptoms that I had on May 28th when I saw him the first time. However, he was so kind. He took more time with me and gave me recommendations to see someone at Mayo in conjunction with New York. What a turn around. So, I came to the conclusion that doctors are so sick of getting patients that are drug seekers that they have to "weed" out the sick from the seekers. Unfortunately, I had to "prove" my level of illness but he did come around. At least he did. My poor sister has gone to several doctors that never did come around and have treated her as a "drug seeker" for 20 years and she just got relief in the last year. I feel so bad that people have to suffer in silence. I am telling you....I am not going through this for NO REASON. Something will come out of this. I am going to become the best patient advocate and may start a website and write a book to help others. I have so many plans for when I feel better!


So the neurologist gave me fioricet. I had requested fioricet with codeine so that it would help my head and other muscle and body aches. He did not want to give me the codeine. So, I just got the fioricet. However, that is a big score. It relieves my headaches. Now, your body only has so many pain receptors. Picture this, if your head is hurting the worst, your mind can only focus on that. When the medicine takes care of that, you realize what else hurts. So, yesterday my head felt wonderful but now my neck and back are killing me. Next appointment, tackling the codeine issue! One step at a time! Or one victory at a time....


After the neurologist, Kyler, Justin and I had a wonderful breakfast at Village Inn. Yummo! Then we went to buy Ky some school cloths. We bought him some shirts but did you know that they are making boy pants that have bling on them? Gross, they look like girl pants. They were skinny jeans and were way to girly. He would not even look at them. So he got two Hurley shirts and no pants. I guess he will just have to go to a western store to get "man" pants without bling. It was so funny watching Justin and Kyler's face. They thought we were in the woman's section when we were in the men's pants. FUNNY.


Then over to see Wessy. Weston has been staying in the Valley most of the summer. Kyler and wessy had to say goodbye. They are not close at all but they do love each other. They hung out for a few minutes, hugged, and we were off. Next stop, my old work. State Farm Insurance. Those girls are like family. After all, I worked in that office for seven years. Some of the girls came to the fundraiser last Saturday but others were not able to make it. It was nice to see them. My head was hurting! So, not a long visit.


Wow, I was already exhausted and it was only 11:30. We were off to the airport. Parked, walked, checked in.....headache, bodyache......sad...My sister Dondi met us at the airport. She was going to go through security and sit with Ky until his plan left. I had another dr appointment back in Peoria at 2:45 and his flight did not leave until 4:00. They had 2 full hours of one-on-one time. That is rare in our huge family. I hugged Ky at the security line. Dondi and Ky had a bet on whether I cried before or after the elevator. I probaly would have cried but my head hurt too bad and crying increases the pressure in your head. So, when Ky sent me a text that he was on he plane, the tears began and would not stop. I cried until we were halfway home to Prescott. This kid took care of me all summer. When I was really sick, he would get up and make me an egg every morning and make me eat it even if I did not want it. He also checked on me to make sure I was okay, layed with me, and so on. He has grown up so much this summer. Now, I love his stepmother and father. They are awesome. He is going to do awesome there. So, that makes it easier. And, I get to be the cool, fun mom now. I don't have to fight him to play his instrument and to do homework. What a relief! But, I am going to miss him! He will be back on Christmas break. Can't wait.


3 comments:

  1. I need to go find my tissues! Isn't it amazing to get a dr that finally listens, even if you have to be 'bitchy' about it! i'm so glad he is finally paying attention Kel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I was not bitchy at all, just stood my ground. Just want to know which "Richins" family made the comment since I am realated to ALL OF THEM? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an emotional roller coaster that day must have been. I cried through the whole blog. I really enjoyed getting to know Kyler better this summer too.
    I am so glad you had him when I had to come home. It sounds like he did an awesome job. He is a great kid!
    So glad the doctors are finally coming around. It's just too bad that Dondi and Jori had to wait so long to get help.

    ReplyDelete