Saturday, August 14, 2010

Small victories

I woke up at 0500, well rested! Yay! I also do not feel completely awful. It is not like I feel like jumping out of bed and running a marathon but I don't feel like hammered dog poop either. Hey, I have to take the small victories every place I can get them!

Tuesday I finally broke down and called the doctors office. Okay, being a nurse, the last thing I want to do is pester the healthcare providers and their staff. I know first hand how annoying that can be. But, I also know how awful I was feeling. So Tuesday I called and talked to the medical assistant for the neurologist. I told her "Look, I do not want to bother you or be a whiner but you need to know that I am in pain. I am talking 10 out of 10 pain and still having migraines". I went on to explain the episodes I have been having. I also explained my illness and made sure she knew that I was just there and that the dr was aware of my illness. I also made sure that she knew how serious I was. I asked her to discuss it with the dr and that if she did not feel comfortable doing so, that I would be happy to discuss it with him myself. These poor girls are about 19 years old. They are medical assistance fresh out of school and scared to death. So they are probably scared of me and scared to grow some (sorry) balls to stand up to the dr. So, two days later, I get a call back from a more mature medical assistant saying "I see a note here, have you received a call back?" So I went through the whole discussion. This time, I used her name (a trick to get people to help you). She remembered me from the office visit. My goodness the neurologist office is in Sun City. How could she forget a 32 year old with a walker that stuttered? Pretty unforgettable at this point. Within 30 minutes, the dr himself had left a message on my phone. Darn it, I did not hear it ring. So I called right back. The same, more mature, medical assistant got the dr right on the phone immediately. Can you believe it? What a turn around! He talked to me for over 10 minutes. I now have another prescription for migraine relief once they come on. Wow--now that is a BIG VICTORY! Thank god, I finally got through to that doctor. I was at the end of my rope and maybe he knew that.

Seven more days until we fly to New York. Eight days until Testing. Nine days until we have some answers and possibly have surgery scheduled.......the countdown begins!!!!

3 comments:

  1. That's great! I'll be praying!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you were finally able to get a dr. to listen. Will see you on Sat.Take care!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just read you story...You are an amazing person.

    I'll be prayin for you as well.

    ReplyDelete