Thursday, August 26, 2010

New York arrival


We made it! We made it to and from New York, in a marathon visit. We woke up Sunday morning at 0500, left at 0600 for a 1000 flight out of Phoenix. We had a planned 4 hour layover in Milwaukee that turned into 7. Two of which were on the tar mack. We arrived in NYC LaGuardia airport at 0130. LONG FREAKIN, FLIPPIN, DAY! When I was wheeled off the plane, I thought they had made a mistake and took me to a prison. The airport was small, dirty, and overcrowded at 0130! Oh, and it smelled like a sewer, forgot to mention that. So, we only had carry on, thank goodness. We head out to find our cabby that we had reserved. Wow, there are a sea of cabs....Which one is ours? "I am in the parking garage on the second floor". So my sister pushes me in the wheelchair like a real life frogger game accross the street. Horns are honking, cars are flying by, people everywhere. Did I mention this is 1:30 in the flippin morning? Why are this many people awake? We get in the elevator and get up to the second level of the parking garage and there is one other live person, what do you know--a cabby, but not our cabby. That would be too easy. "Why would a cab be meeting you here?" he said. What the hell? "You are a cabby" I thought....I start to tear up and cry...The cabby said pointing across the road and over back into the airport, "I think he means over there". Shit.....I have to play frogger again and risk my life! "I am at the end of my rope" I say in robot fashion. "Give me some back so I can just hang myself". Mind you, my sister is sick too. She does not feel that much better than me. Poor Justin, my hubby has two peas in a freakin pod. "Give me your phone!" I am going to call before we play frogger again and get all the way over there and find out we went to the wrong place again." I said almost incoherently (speech problem gets really bad when my I am tired and stressed, which I am both at this point). Dondi is almost in tears too. We go and find the cabby and he says, "I can tell you are not New Yorkers and you are not freaking out". The funny thing is that Dondi and I were so freaked and frazzled on the inside but apparently it did not show on the outside and we don't yell at others when we are stressed like New Yorkers might. To tell you the truth, that may be one of the most stressful times in my life! But we finally made it safe and sound to our hotel without much incident. And, much to my surprise, the hotel was pretty nice.


Tomorrow I will tell you more about the dr visits. Thank goodness the medical facilities did not look like the airport!

No comments:

Post a Comment